This week I have started my new role in education as an assistant principal. I have learned that it is very difficult to start during the middle of the year. I seem to be playing catch up every day that I go to work and I get farther behind each day.
I spent a full day of work at the school my first day and set up all the systems that I will need in place to communicate with various stakeholders. I also setup my calendar and met with my administrative team. The second and third day I will be in a "systems thinking" training that delves into works by Peter Senge who wrote a book called "The 5th Discipline."
This systems training uses archetypes that can utilized to help one to balance the various demanding responsibilities that can be placed on administrators. This training is very new to me and actually has a card system in place to help remember various situational archetypes and how to turn a negative system into a positive system.
This week I have learned how to enter discipline referrals, enter various information for student behavior, and sync a calendar with the district admin and campus admin. The admin team also divided up the responsibilities of who we appraise. I plan to try to meet with all the faculty and redesign the school website as quickly as possible which are just a couple of my numerous responsibilities. Hopefully, I can get caught up and get ahead of the game soon. Time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment